Harare International School (HIS) recognizes that technology is one of the essential tools that contribute to implementing 21st century teaching and learning. A variety of technology is readily available to all students and teachers across the campus creating an environment that fosters creativity, innovation, critical thinking, problem solving, and communication. The implementation and the integration of our technology program has lead to Harare International School being identified by South Africa’s Apple Distributor as a flagship school for technology in Southern Africa.
The school uses superb, 21st century platforms to communicate, collaborate and integrate information.
- The G Suite for Education (formerly called Google Apps for Education)
- Email – Gmail for HIS
- Calendar – Google Calendar for HIS
- Drive – Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms for HIS
- Websites – Google Sites for HIS
- Reports – ManageBac (PYP, MYP & DP)
- Attendance – ManageBac (PYP, MYP & DP)
- Curriculum – ManageBac (MYP & DP) and Atlas Rubicon (PYP)
- Library – HIS Follett Destiny
Every teachers is provided with a laptop, and every teacher assistant is provided with a tablet.
Each classroom is equipped with:
- dedicated, robust, wireless internet,
- a projector &
- Apple TV
There are two (2) iMac production labs with 22 iMacs each for robust class projects, and an additional 5 iMacs in the Media Center for individual work.
- Elementary school has 126 iPads available in mobile carts at a ratio of 1:2 for the students.
- Gr 6, 7 & 8 students utilizes a 1:1 iPad program for the students.
- Gr 9, 10, 11 &12 School students have 1:1 MacBook laptop program.
Students and teachers are encouraged to use technology as a tool that can contribute to and enhance their teaching and learning. Our Technology Integration Specialist and Technology Professional Development Specialist provide guidance and support for teachers, students, and parents.