HIS is a COMMUNITY. Regardless of our role, we are boldly diverse and live and breathe our Mission Statement. Future families – please contact our extraordinary Admissions team and Pedagogical leaders. Prospective faculty and staff, please read our 20 Things To Know About HIS below. Current families – please click on the Quick Links to access HIS procedures as well as links to our on-line portals.
1. Our mission statement guides our thinking and decision-making at all levels of the school.
2. Our diverse faculty are a force for positivity, inclusivity, and innovation. They are consummate educators, great communicators, listeners, and collaborators. They are adaptive, empathetic, and thoughtful.
3. We are proudly an International Baccalaureate continuum school, offering the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP) and Diploma Programme (DP).
4. Our pedagogical approach is student-centered in line with our core definitions of learning and global citizenship.
5. Our strategic priorities form the basis of where we want to develop. We invite community members to propose prototype sprints that they would like to lead.
6. We are an international school; we do not subscribe to any national educational system.
7. Wider WednesDAY (Elementary School) provides students with an opportunity to design their learning through further opportunities to demonstrate agency within their learning based on personal interests and passion. (DAY: Design, Agency, You).
8. Wider Wednesday (Secondary School) provides students the opportunity to go wider, dig deeper and grow themselves. On Wednesdays there are only Higher Level lessons for Grade 11 and 12 students and no academic lessons for Grade 6-10 students. Grade 6-10 students have a wellbeing lesson and then choose four activities from a wide range of creativity, activity, service and academic enrichment activities. At the end of the first semester they can choose a new set of activities.
9. We embrace a trial and error culture, where we are courageous and understand that not every undertaking will be successful, and that we learn a great deal from failed prototypes.
10. We are boldly diverse and we recognise that our experiences, our backgrounds and our cultures impact the way we see the world. We recognise that we learn in different ways and are committed to supporting students to achieve personal excellence. We are open-minded and communicate with a goal of enriching our understanding.
11. We support students to be advocates for themselves. We lead advocacy skills development for all students, starting from Early Childhood. Parents are also advocates for their children, and we invite opportunities to meet with parents for feedback, suggestions, and reasons to celebrate. Conversations are centered around parents’ own children.
12. We honour our host country, Zimbabwe and its rich culture and heritage.
13. As an international school, approximately 50% of our teachers are proudly Zimbabwean. Our locally hired teachers provide invaluable connections to our host country.
14. We value in-person communication and interactions. Education is vital and personal. Email is great to set up a meeting. Conversations are enriching that lead to shared and deeper understandings in support of student learning and experiences. We welcome diverse opinions as this helps us to better understand diverse perspectives.
15. We support communication in 3 primary ways. Individual parent-teacher communication takes place as needed. The Weekly Bulletin is your go-to, weekly communication, with highlights on the upcoming week. It is sent out every Friday at 6:00pm. Communication regarding assignments and assessments can be subscribed to through Weekly Calendars and Seesaw (Early Childhood-Grade 5) and Managebac (Grades 6-12). The monthly Newsletter includes more information about student learning and what has taken place over the past month. Further information can be found in the Community Handbook. under “Communication”.
16. We are an inclusive school. It is important that you disclose in advance if your child has any learning support needs ie. an Individual Education Plan or any accommodations or modifications have been made to your child’s learning programme at any stage of his or her school life. We want to be able to offer all our students the best chance of success, and in order to do that we must have this information beforehand so we can discuss it with you and follow up with our experts in our Student Support Services Team. In some exceptional circumstances, HIS may not be the appropriate school for your child.
17. We use technology as a tool to support and enhance learning. Our dedicated teachers and tech team are critical about the tech resources that are used for student learning, and new resources are adopted after a systematic evaluation.
18. Teachers have a range of opportunities for professional development to enhance our personal and professional growth.
19. Our Board is made up of elected and appointed members who ensure the long term vision and success of the school.
20. We are accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) based in the Netherlands and Middle States Association (MSA) based in the United States.
We seek talented teachers who are kind, creative, and passionate about what they do. Our teachers have an engaging classroom presence, value real-world applications, and engage with learning practises with a lifelong love of learning.
Does this sound like you? Click here to see vacancies and apply!
We are an International Baccalaureate school fully authorized in the Primary Years Programme, Middle Years Programme and the Diploma Programme. The School’s program for Grades 11 and 12 is the IB Diploma Program.
Harare International School (HIS) is situated on a beautiful 22-acre, campus with excellent facilities and serves the needs of students of the diplomatic, international and local communities of Harare. HIS is a leading school in Africa and is fully accredited by the Council of International Schools and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. In addition it is an IB World School offering IB, PYP, MYP and DP programs.