The Board of Governors consists of at least seven and up to nine members. Five members are elected by HIS parents to serve three-year terms and must be parents or guardians of a student currently enrolled at HIS. Two members are appointed by the Embassy of the United States for two or three-year terms and at least one appointee must be a parent of a student enrolled at HIS. Up to two additional members may be appointed by the Board itself for one-year terms.
There are no specific constituencies that are entitled to representation on the Board, however HIS will benefit from board members with skills and experience in areas such as human resources, financial management, accounting, law, public relations, engineering, fundraising, business management, strategic planning, leadership, education, and the local economic context. In general the HIS Board strives to have a healthy balance of diverse perspectives, including:
- individuals from companies, organizations or entities which have a substantial population at HIS;
- individuals from the diplomatic community;
- parents with children in different school divisions (Early Childhood through Grade 12);
- private-payer and corporate fee paying parents;
- various nationalities; and
- short-term and long-term residents.
HIS board members agree to act in the best interest of the school at all times and to adhere to the HIS Board Practices of Good Governance
Board elections are held every year in May. The Board invites interested parents/guardians to attend a mandatory Candidate Orientation Session in April before they declare their candidacy.